Belvoir Special School is located in Gayview Drive, Wodonga, approximately 2.8kms from Wodonga Central. The school has a history spanning over 30 years. Belvoir Special School caters for a diverse range of students from a large geographic area, including Corryong, Mt. Beauty, Chiltern, Barnawartha, Yackandandah, Tallangatta and the wider Wodonga area.
Belvoir Special School provides an education to children and young people aged 5 to 18 who have a mild to severe intellectual disability. Programs are tailored to suit the individual students’ needs.
A modern, safe and secure school was built in 2015 for Belvoir Special School. It includes performance spaces, multi-purpose areas, classrooms and dedicated spaces for speech therapists and occupational therapists.
Enrolments at Belvoir Special School sit around 200 students across 22 classrooms.
Purpose and Core Beliefs at Belvoir
At Belvoir Special School, we believe that ‘Together we can have Fun and Learn.’ This belief is the basis of all we do. We do this by: –
1. Operating within Department of Education and Early Childhood guidelines for the statewide school system.
2. Providing a happy, stimulating, caring and secure environment for the whole school community.
3. Respecting and protecting our students’ rights by treating everyone with courtesy and dignity.
4. Promoting on-going communication between parents and staff, encouraging regular parent involvement and support.
5. Providing individual programs for students which are developed from The Victorian Curriculum, VELS or VCAL curriculum, in consultation with parents and Student Support Group members.
6. Promoting an innovative and progressive school environment, which keeps abreast of current educational philosophy and practice.
7. Providing a school community environment that offers support, understanding and information for parents, families and caregivers.
8. Providing access to information on available support services and future options for families and their child.
9. Utilizing all appropriate support services, including speech therapy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, behavioral intervention and specific disability support.
10. Adherence to Belvoir’s Strategic Plan which was reviewed last year and will be developed by the whole school community in 2016. This is our school’s guiding document for the next three years.